My niece's birthday is today and it was only yesterday that I realized that it wasn't just approaching anymore, it was here. She is reading the Mandie books by Lois Gladys Leppard and I bought her the movie that was made for the first book. As I was scrambling yesterday to think of something else to put with her gift, I took a look through my internet bookmarks. I came across a ponytail elastic tutorial but couldn't find the hair elastics I had bought (and never used) last Christmas for this tutorial or the container of uncovered buttons. So covered-button ponytail elastics were out and then I came across a tutorial for an apron, which looked simple enough and quick enough to do. Onward to the sewing room!
It has been at least six months (I'm guessing) since I've sewn anything. It's probably been even longer than that. The sewing room hasn't been clean enough to use. Even now, despite two consecutive weeks of making it my Two Things Tuesday challenge, the sewing room sits half cleared. There was enough clear floor space to plop down my cutting mat and set up my ironing board though and enough table space to access both my sewing machine and serger (I didn't need to use the coverstitch machine for this project). I've missed sewing, missed creating useful things with fabric and thread, and I've missed my machines. I didn't realize just how much until I sat down at them again yesterday.
I dug through my stash of cotton woven fabric and chose two prints.
Using Randi's instructions I whipped up a cute little apron in relatively short order, choosing to omit the downward-hanging bib panel. My son wouldn't put the apron on and let me take a picture until I promised him that I wouldn't get his head in the shot. He's not that much smaller than my 9-year-old niece so he was also modeling it for me to check the fit.
After the apron was wrapped up, I started looking through my wovens again and came up with these two, an Anna Griffin pink and red paisley and a remnant bin white fabric with green checks which picks up the thin green lines in the paisley print.
I used the same tutorial as for my niece's apron but also included elements of this free apron pattern. I changed the measurements of the pieces somewhat from the first apron, included a full-width pocket panel, with the three pockets as per the second pattern, made bias tape to trim the pocket, and gathered the front of the apron at the waist a bit. I even used one of the tags I had custom made for me a few years ago.
I absolutely love the finished product. I love the colours (even though I'm not a fan of pink or ruffles) and how well the stitching turned out. But I have no idea what to do with it. To keep it would mean it would be stuffed into a kitchen drawer and rarely used since I never think to grab an apron when I'm cooking or baking. To give it away would be very difficult. I think I'll add it to my Christmas Gifts 2010 list and figure out who to give it to later.
In the meantime, I'll be looking for another set of print fabric to make up a third one.
This post is linked to Simple Lives Thursday.