supporting the locals

Saturday, September 11, 2010
Every summer our city has a Saturday farmer's market, which runs from the May long weekend to Thanksgiving weekend in October. I don't think I made it to the market at all last year; this year I've only been twice. The first time was to pick up a pail of honey from a local vendor and the second time, today, was to pick up a hand worked cherry wood bowl from a booth I had noticed the first time.


The gentleman who makes these does amazing work. That bowl, and the other varieties that he has for sale, is smooth like glass apart from the bark rim. I asked him if he had a card and he advised that he doesn't, that he does this as a hobby.


I have a wedding to go to in October. A younger cousin of mine is getting married. He and his fiancĂ©e are laid back country folks and spend nearly every weekend "in Home", which is what we in the family call the little  collection of hamlets in which my grandparents were raised and where our parents were also born and raised. I wanted to give a wedding present that was unique and I think this fits that bill and suits them well. I also plan to make an "Established" piece for them, like this one by Amy of My 3 Monsters. Simple, unique (as least as far as their wedding presents will go), and sincere. I think the rustic nature of the bowl and the personality of the framed piece also tie in with a fall wedding.

I'll share the artwork once I get it done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts older than 10 days will be moderated. Your comment may take some time to appear on this blog.