thrive

Saturday, August 14, 2010
My volunteer tomato plant is thriving in its moderately sunny location on my patio, its stalk growing through a crack between the bricks. The dirt in these cracks is so dense and gravel-y that water takes a very long time to soak down but I suppose once the water has soaked in, it stays pretty well trapped under there, watering the plant over an extended period of time.


The plant is in full sun for the first half of the day and then full shade but despite that, I have several green cherry tomatoes and many more flowers. I find myself strangely excited over this plant because despite, or maybe because of, the fact that it flops all over the bricks  (short of putting screws into the underside of the window frame a few feet above it and stringing it up, I haven't figured out how to stake it), it is doing better than the other tomato plants in my garden in that it is a deeper green and is less sparse. I have done nothing with this plant other than marvel at it.


thrive [θraɪv]
vb thrives, thriving ; thrived, throve ; thrived, thriven [ˈθrɪvən] (intr)
1. to grow strongly and vigorously
2. to do well; prosper
[from Old Norse thrīfask to grasp for oneself, reflexive of thrīfa to grasp, of obscure origin]
thriver  n
thriving  adj
thrivingly  adv
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

"To grow strongly and vigorously." No mention  of a time frame or a particular end, just to grow "vigorously", that is to be strong, healthy, and full of energy. Thriving does not mean one has reached the pinnacle, that  all has been achieved that was wanted to be achieved. Thriving, as applied to my life and the changes I am making, means that I am putting one foot in front of the other, making steady, whether slow or not, progress, moving in an upward direction. Thriving does not mean that everything will be neat and tidy and perfectly shaped, but rather that it will be healthy and strong and able to withstand adversity.


I am thriving. I have no other option. Each day, I am choosing to grow, to strengthen myself and allow others to help in growing my strength, to not be afraid of change, and to become more comfortable with my vulnerability. I am alive in this wonderful life that has been given to me and I am choosing not to let another day go by without basking in the many gifts that each day bestows.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts older than 10 days will be moderated. Your comment may take some time to appear on this blog.